Do you know what the rarest and the scariest lip piercing is? The one which is referred to a famous murderer – Black Dahlia. Do you want to discover more about this mysterious piercing?
What Is a Dahlia Piercing
Dahlia piercing or joker bites piercing is the double perforation, located in both corners of the mouth. This piercing is well-known under the Joker’s name, as it imitates the comics character’s scars.
Should You Go For It
Dahlia lip piercing is quite intriguing and unusual, isn’t it? That’s why you should look closer at its pros and cons.
- Dahlia piercing is a rare body modification, so you would definitely differ from your surroundings with it. It would make you look special, and surely, you would get a reputation of an experienced piercing fan
- Dahlia bites piercing attracts attention to the shape of your mouth and highlights the beauty of your smile. With bright tiny studs in the corner of the mouth, your smile will literally shine
- There are certain risks that may appear due to the piercing’s unusual placement. You should find a really professional and experienced piercer to get Dahlia done correctly. Otherwise, the piercing may migrate to cheeks, or even be rejected and leave real Joker scars
- It is not easy to find a piercing studio where you can get Dahlia. Many piercers even haven’t heard of it, because of its unpopularity. The procedure is quite complicated, so do consult with piercers whether they have done something like this before
To get a proper placement for a joker bites piercing, make sure that your piercer is experienced enough, and will precisely mark it correctly in the mouth corners. After identifying the piercing’s location, the perforation is made by a sterilized 14 or 16 gauge needle. Then the initial small labret studs are inserted. The important thing to remember – never try to do this piercing by yourself, as it is a very complicated procedure, and you would pay for treatment more than you would give for the professional services.
To observe the real procedure, watch these videos.
How Does It Hurt
7 of 10
Dahlia piercing pain can reach up to 7 points out of 10 on the pain scale. The pain level greatly depends on the individual pain resistance and your state of health.
Keep in mind that the piercing area has many nerve endings and the procedure takes longer than for ordinary piercing. You will need to experience the perforation twice, which will increase the pain level. In case it will hurt too much, you can take painkillers to reduce the pain.
Healing and Aftercare
Dahlia piercing healing time may take from 12 to 20 weeks in total.
However, the healing time can be reduced with the proper aftercare. Make sure to follow the rules below to help the dahlia piercing to heal.
- Keep cleaning the piercing constantly, to avoid possible side effects
- You may touch the piercing area only while cleaning
- Try to avoid using oily lotions and creams
- Keep your clothes and toothbrush always clean. It will help to avoid bacteria
Goods to buy for proper aftercare
Piercing aftercare spray – choose if you don’t have time to make saline solution every time you need to clean your piercing
Healing sea salt solution specially for piercing care – choose for diy saline soaks
Dr. Piercing’s medication filled swabs – use in combination with sea salt solution or spray for better cleaning
Organic tea tree oil – use to avoid piercing infection/bump
How to Clean
There are some cleaning rules which you have to remember. In case of dahlia lip piercing, you will get 2 exit spots for jewelry – inside and outside ones. You have to clean them separately.
Rinse your mouth every time after the meal to clean the inner side of the piercing. Use a saltwater or non-alcohol mouthwash for rinsing. It will reduce some side effects, in case your lip became sore or swollen.
For the outside area, use a special saline, which can be easily prepared at home. Mix a quarter of a teaspoon of salt with 8 ounces of warm water, and soak a clean cotton pad in this liquid. Gently pat the piercing area twice a day.
What to Avoid During Healing
Having dahlia piercing requires certain restrictions, provided below:
- Avoid pulling the jewelry and playing with piercing, as it may irritate the skin
- Do not drink alcohol or coffee and avoid spicy food. It may result in redness in the piercing area
- Avoid intense oral contacts during the healing time
- Do not remove the initial stud until the wound is completely healed
- Do not swim in public swimming pools to avoid the risk of an infection
As you may already know, every piercing results in some risks. Here are some of them:
- Rejection and migration. The unusual location of dahlia piercing may trigger migration, and you would get the piercing in a different place. Or your body may reject a certain type of jewelry. To avoid this, pay attention to the details while consulting with your piercer before the procedure
- Gum and tooth erosion. Due to the lip movements, the jewelry may damage your teeth or gums, which could lead to the erosion. Therefore, you have to take care of the choice of the jewelry and piercing placement
- Scars. Usually, the primary scars that may appear during the first weeks, are gone when the piercing is completely healed. However, if the lip got infected, they stay in place. If you see that something has gone wrong, do consult with your doctor or piercing master
- Infections. It is a common risk for every piercing. Do not forget about cleaning and things to avoid in order to reduce this risk
The nicest jewelry type for the dahlia piercing is tiny and cute studs. You may also try pretty CBRs or curved barbells in case you want to look cool and sexy.
How Much Does a Dahlia Piercing Cost
- In the US, the average price for dahlia piercings is $20 to $80.
- In the UK, you can get your lip pierced for £15 – £85.
- In Europe, dahlia piercing costs from €20 to €90.