Do you want to add something unusual and cool to your daily look? Got bored with lower ear piercings? If so, you will love to discover a trendy helix ear piercing.
Below we gathered all information you need like experience, pain level, healing time, and cost of helix piercing.
Find 20+ pictures to get ideas how it will look using different jewelry types. If you want to avoid infection and speed up the healing process, we also reveal the best aftercare products.
What Is a Helix Piercing?
Helix piercing is a single or multiple perforations of the upper ear cartilage. It is located on the curve of the outer ear and is known as the “top ear” piercing. Helix piercings are presented in different variations.
You might want to try three or two holes one above the other, which is called the triple or double helix piercing. Alternatively, you might be interested in the forward helix piercing. It is a perforation of the frontal cartilage, located closer to the face.
Should You Go For It?
- With the helix piercing, you should not worry about pain during the procedure. The reason is that the outer ear curve does not have that many nerve endings. However, the real effect always depends on the execution manner and on the professionalism of the piercing master.
- The helix ear piercing allows you to combine it with other piercing types. In such a way, you have room to express your creativity. For example, the helix piercing can be done together with the industrial one. But, keep in mind that the industrial piercing would require two holes to insert the right jewelry. However, with such modification, you would get an awesome ear decoration.
- The healing time might be longer compared to other types of ear piercing. It is explained by the poor blood circulation in the area of the outer ear cartilage.
- There is always a risk that the piercing might be rejected by your body. It can cause an infection or an ear bump. To avoid these risks, choose a piercing master carefully and pay attention to the metal of your jewelry.
When you come to a piercing studio, you must be assured that all the instruments are properly sterilized. Then you would choose the exact location of the hole, which will be marked by your piercing master.
Afterward, the piercer will disinfect the spot and make a hole with a 14 gauge hollow needle. The jewelry is inserted immediately.
To get more information on the helix piercing procedure, see the following video.
Read more about DIY ear piercing at home.
How Bad Does It Hurt?
Helix piercing pain level – 4 of 10
It is not a very painful procedure, as there are almost no nerve endings in that area.
Taking into account double or triple piercings, the helix piercing pain level on average would make 4 out of 10 on the pain scale.
Find out the piercing pain scale of other body piercings.
Remember that the perforation itself doesn’t cause much pain. But within a few days after the procedure, you might experience certain discomfort. The carriage might become red and itchy. Therefore, it is very important to follow the aftercare rules given below.
You might expect a longer healing time when the cartilage is involved.
Primary helix piercing healing would take from a couple of days to a few weeks. During this period, the ear can become infected, sore or swollen, in case something has gone wrong with the piercing procedure. Such side effects are usually caused by an infection. In order to avoid risks, be very attentive to your piercing, especially during the first following week.
The helix piercing will heal completely after 6-7 months.
To reduce the chances of infections, follow the aftercare rules:
- Avoid bacteria getting into the fresh hole. Never touch the piercing with dirty hands.
- Do not play or twist around the jewelry, even if you have washed hands before.
- Avoid triggering the new piercing by clothing or a smartphone. It can also cause some infections and healing will take longer.
- Do not remove the jewelry until healing is complete. Sure, a temptation to get a new earring can be strong, but keep in mind the risks it can cause.
- Remember to clean the wound twice a day.
How to Clean
It is recommended to prepare a special cleaning mixture. Put a quarter of a teaspoon of sea salt into a glass with warm water. Then soak a cotton ball or tissue in this liquid and gently wash the piercing place.
Alternatively, you may take care of your piercing using special sprays. They can be found in designated shops with piercing products or simply online.
Read more about ear piercing aftercare rules.
Recommended Aftercare Products
Choose for DIY sea salt soaks. The best product to speed up the healing process.Buy Now on Amazon
Piercing aftercare spray
Choose if you don’t have time to make saline solution every time you need to clean your piercing.Buy Now on Amazon
Helix ear piercing will definitely trigger your imagination, as there is a variety of suitable jewelry.
The traditional and nicest earrings choice for the upper piercing is a combo of pretty rings of a different size.
On small ears, you might try a cute stud. A metal bar choice would perfectly fit a guy as well.
Choosing your perfect jewelry, remember that your body might refuse some metals. It is absolutely normal, as everyone has his or her own individual characteristics.
Therefore, for the first-time helix piercing jewelry, better consider earrings made of silver, gold, titanium or surgical steel. These metals are quite universal and safe.
How Much Does a Helix Piercing Cost?
- Getting your helix pierced in the US would cost you around $20 – $55.
- In the UK, the price is £18 – £55.
- In Europe, you would pay around €20 – €50 for the helix piercing.