Are you looking for a great alternative to the standard lip piercings? If you are bored with traditional piercings, you might want to consider jestrum lip piercing!
What Is a Jestrum Piercing
Jestrum piercing or vertical medusa piercing is a double perforation of the upper lip. The piercing has two exit spots. The first one is placed above the lip, in the philtrum area, and looks very similar to Medusa piercing. The second one is located right under the lip.
Should You Go For It
Jestrum piercing is quite unique and unusual, so let’s discover its pros and cons.
- Jestrum piercing is going to bring you at the spotlight. It is not a crazy piercing variation, but it will make your look rocky and cool
- With this piercing, you can experiment with different kinds of jewelry, as you would have two visible exit spots. It made it possible to use not only tiny labrets but to try cute barbells as well
- Keep in mind that jestrum piercings don’t match every lip shape. In case you have tiny lips, there would not be enough space for jewelry to go through the tissue. So, before going for it, consider your individual characteristics as well
- As jestrum piercing should be centred on the upper lip, it is important to make sure that the placement is correctly marked. If the hole is moved even a little, your face symmetry would be affected
You are recommended to visit a piercing studio to get jestrum piercing done, as the procedure is quite complicated. This type of piercing requires accurate double perforation, so don’t try to do it at home.
Ensure that your piercing master properly sanitizes all the instruments, and correctly marks out the hole spots. The upper lip tissue should be fixed by a clamp and the perforation is done by a special hollow needle. Then, the initial jewelry is carefully inserted. The final step is to get proper aftercare instructions from your piercer.
You can watch below what the procedure looks like in the real life.
How Much Does It Hurt
Jestrum piercing pain is considered to be 5/10 on the pain scale. However, the pain level is always individual. It depends on your general health condition, pain resistance, and your mood during the procedure. Given that you will get a double perforation, you would experience more discomfort than with traditional piercings. Therefore, it is recommended to be positive and relax during the procedure.
Read also about most painful piercings ranked by Piercee team.
Healing and Aftercare[red_box]Jestrum healing time is usually from 6 to 12 weeks for the outer part. The inner part can take around 6 months to heal completely.[/red_box]
So, the piercing area would be quite sensitive during the initial healing. It can even become red, sore and swollen. Therefore, you might wonder how to reduce the healing time. There is no exact recipe, but following precise aftercare rules below would certainly help a lot.
- Do not remove the initial barbell until your piercing is healed completely
- Stay away from dirt and bacterias. Wash your hands and clothes permanently
- Maintain proper oral hygiene. It will reduce the risk of being infected
- To reduce painful feelings, suck a piece of ice, or simply take Ibuprofen
- Use a soft toothbrush not to irritate the piercing area
- Clean your piercing daily, as described below
Recommended Aftercare Products
Choose for DIY sea salt soaks. The best product to speed up the healing process.Buy Now on Amazon
Piercing aftercare spray
Choose if you don’t have time to make saline solution every time you need to clean your piercing.Buy Now on Amazon
How to Clean
Every lip piercing requires following the cleaning routine, and jestrum one is not an exception.
Use non-alcohol antibacterial mouthwash to rinse your mouth after eating. In such a way, you would disinfect the inner side of your piercing.
You should also take care of your piercing while showering. Simply wash it with antiseptic soap.
To clean the outside area, use a special saline. Prepare it putting a quarter of a teaspoon of salt into a glass of boiled water. Soak the piercing in this liquid twice a day. Use disposable paper towels to remove the rest of the liquid.
What to Avoid During Healing
Remember to stay away from certain things to reduce the healing time and to avoid side effects.
- Do not twist the jewelry. It can damage the skin surrounding your piercing and leave scars as a result
- Avoid drinking alcohol and eating spicy food, which may irritate the piercing area
- Do not apply lipstick or cosmetics on the damaged lip tissue
- Avoid oral contacts, as it can hurt the vulnerable piercing area
- Avoid swimming in the rivers, lakes or public swimming pools until your piercing is completely healed
Vertical labret piercing could trigger certain risks, which you have to be aware of.
- Infection. If the aftercare rules are not followed, the risk of infections substantially increases. If you see that something has gone wrong, immediately visit your doctor or piercer
- Tooth erosion. The inside piece of jewelry may damage your upper teeth, as your lips are constantly moving. To avoid it, choose the jewelry which will be suitable for your mouth constitution
- Scarring. If the jewelry is too big for you, or you often play with the piercing, you risk getting long-lasting scars. Therefore, refrain from touching the piercing, and make sure the jewelry size is suitable for your lip
The most used and nicest jewelry for the jestrum lip piercing is a curved barbell, which is available in different colors. The small and pretty balls on your lip will make you look sexy and original.
How Much Does a Jestrum Piercing Cost
- In the US, you can get the jestrum lip piercing for $30 – $60
- In the UK, the price would be £20-£50
- In Europe, you would get the upper lip pierced for €15 to €40.