What piercing would express your personality the best? Do you want to look trendy and different? Why not try stylish snake bite piercing!
What is a Snake Bites Piercing?
Snake bites piercing is a double puncture, that is making two separate openings. It is located on both corners of the lower lip. Snake bite piercing got this name due to its resemblance to a snake bite or fang.
There are two variations of the snake bites piercing: with two studs under lip, or with rings.
Should You Go For It?
Before getting snake bite piercing, you would probably want to discover some of its pros and cons.
- Snake piercing is not only unusual, it also makes you look incredibly hot. You may think that this piercing type would work better for a girl. However, many guys find snake bite piercings rocky, especially when wearing rings.
- This piercing type is becoming genuinely famous and popular in the fashion world. Snake bites piercings are a fresh trend, which is not surprising. It gives you a mysterious look, highlighting the facial symmetry and natural beauty of your lips.
- Snake bite lip piercing is one of the facial piercings which is not easy to hide. Double lip puncture will be always little bit visible. However, you could use special retainer or the smallest possible studs if you need to look official.
- The procedure of getting snake bites pierced may take longer than in case of other piercings. It is better not to make two openings at ones in order to avoid infections. In addition, the break before getting the second hole will make it easier to deal with swollen lip and pain.
Like with any other piercings, the most important thing is the cleanliness and sterility of the piercing place.
After the instruments and the lip are sterilized, your piercer will mark entry and exit points. You should pay attention to the fact that marks should be symmetrical on both sides. Once the piercing placement is approved, your upper lip will be fixed with a clamp. Then your lip is sharply perforated by a hollow needle and the initial stud is inserted. The second opening may be made right after or in one or two days as recommended by some piercers.
You can watch the actual procedure here:
How Much Does a Snake Bites Piercing Hurt?
5 of 10
Snake bites piercing would usually reach 5 points out of 10 on a pain scale. Lip piercings are considered to be the least painful among other facial piercings. However, the double puncture will always hurt more.
Keep in mind that piercing procedure itself is quite easy, but after few hours you might get your bottom lip sore and swollen. It is quite normal, though it will cause a certain discomfort. It should be mentioned that the pain level is different for everyone. It depends on your health, pain perception and your mood during the procedure.
Therefore, to reduce pain it is recommended to stay relaxed and positive. It is also very important to follow the aftercare instructions given by your piercer.
Read also about most sore body piercings.
Healing and Aftercare
The primary healing time for snake bites piercings is from 6 to 8 weeks.
During this time you might experience swelling or tenderness. After this period you will be able to change the initial jewelry. Your piercing will heal completely in 6-12 months if you stick to aftercare rules.
- Carefully maintain oral hygiene. This point is extremely important for all facial piercing types. Use a soft toothbrush and rinse your mouth every time after eating or drinking.
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle. Take vitamins and sleep well. It will improve your immune system and help to reduce healing time.
- You can put a small ice cube in the mouth to reduce swelling. If necessary, take one pill of Ibuprofen to fight the pain that may persist during the initial healing time.
- Strictly follow the cleaning rules to avoid getting your piercing infected.
Recommended Aftercare Products
Choose for DIY sea salt soaks. The best product to speed up the healing process.Buy Now on Amazon
Piercing aftercare spray
Choose if you don’t have time to make saline solution every time you need to clean your piercing.Buy Now on Amazon
How to Clean
As you have openings on the inside and outside of your mouth, you should separate cleaning procedure accordingly.
To clean the piercing from outside, rinse your mouth with the antibacterial or saline solution after eating and before going to bed.
For the exterior opening, use a saline. You can prepare it yourself or buy the premade one in the designated shop. The mixture is quite easy to make. You will need to mix 1/4 of a teaspoon of salt with 8 ounces of warm water. Soak the cotton ball in the liquid and clean the wound for 5-10 minutes twice a day. In addition, it is recommended to gently wash the piercing with soap at least once a day.
Read more about how to use sea salt to clean piercings.
What Should You Avoid During the Healing
Aside from cleaning, there are some things to stay away during the healing.
- Do not use alcohol for the aftercare if you don’t want to irritate the openings.
- Avoid smoking. Besides the fact that it is harmful to your health, smoking can cause some compilations while healing.
- Do not swim in public swimming pools, or lakes and rivers to stay away from infections.
- Do not remove or change the jewelry before initial healing is completed. It can also let the infections in the wound.
- Avoid oral contacts as it can trigger the jewelry and stretch the openings.
- Avoid touching your jewelry with dirty hands, clothes, cell phone or pillow. Always care to keep the piercing clean and calm. But do not go too far with cleaning either. Stick to the rule – twice a day.
If you are having a snake bites piercing, be aware of its possible risks.
The most common snake bite piercing risks are infections, and teeth or gum damage.
The wrong size of the jewelry can easily scrap your lower teeth or cause gum problems. Therefore, it is crucial to let the piercer or doctor know in case you experience any complications.
The same works for infections. You can recognize them by getting your lip swollen or red. If you feel that something has gone wrong, it may be a sign of the infection. To avoid this, strictly follow the cleaning and aftercare instructions given above.
Snake bites piercing jewelry should be chosen very carefully, as it would be placed inside your mouth. Consult with your piercer about the size and suitable shape to avoid rejection and other side effects.
Generally, for snake bite piercing you are proposed to wear a small stud or cool ring. You may also choose a pretty hoop and experiment with different colors.
If you want to look cute, then a shiny combo of tiny studs would be the nicest option. On the other side, you may try black rings to have a rocky and cheeky look. To choose your best fit, you can check the pictures of snake bites piercings.
How Much Does a Snake Bites Piercing Cost
- In the US you will pay around $50 to $80 for the snake bites piercing.
- In the UK the price will be £35 – £80.
- In Europe, snake bite piercing will cost around €30 – €80.