Thinking about a fresh idea for your piercing combination? Well, then you are definitely at the right place! Let’s explore one of the latest and unusual ear decorations – snug piercing.
What is a Snug Piercing?
Snug piercing is a horizontal puncture through the inner ridge of the ear cartilage, located above the anti-tragus. The exact place of the perforation may vary as it depends on individual ear constitution.
Is It a Good Idea to Have Snug Ear Piercing?
There are always some pros and cons. Let’s start with the pros first:
- It looks really cute and fabulous! The anti-helix is a perfect spot to place a shiny earring. Proper jewellery in the middle of the ear will definitely emphasize your individuality.
- Snug piercings are quite popular nowadays. They look catchy and original. So, your friends will be surely amazed!
What about cons?
- To get a snug piercing, you would need to have a hilly ridge in the inner cartilage. What if you don’t? It is not a big deal indeed. In this case, you may try different variations of the snug ear piercing. For example, high snug piercing or even double snug piercing. Choose the most suitable option according to your individual ear shape.
- Keep in mind that the inner cartilage is quite a sensitive area. Moreover, anti-helix is thick, which could cause more pain than a usual piercing. So, a snug ear piercing might hurt a lot. However, it always depends on you piercing master’s skills and your personal sensitivity.
- The piercing location should be properly cleaned and sterilized as well the instruments.
- A piercing master uses a surgical marking pen to mark two spots: the entry and the exit points.
- The ridge in the inner cartilage is perforated by a thick sterilized needle.
- Afterward, the master inserts the chosen jewelry.
- Note: during the procedure, you may experience small bleeding as with any other new piercing.
Still have questions? Discover the snug piercing procedure in video here:
How Does Snug Piercing Hurt?
7 of 10
A snug ear piercing can be found among some of the most painful ear piercing procedures.
The reason is that the inner cartilage is more sensitive and thicker than the other areas. Generally, it can be rated as 7/10 on the pain scale.
However, the pain level depends on your individual characteristics. Some people claim that it hurts only when the jewelry is inserted, but not during the puncture itself.
In order to reduce the pain intensity, it is recommended to relax and to be positive. Anesthesia is not usually applied for this type of piercing.
Healing and Aftercare
You should be really careful with the snug piercing in order to prevent the spread of an infection.
Remember that a pierced snug is not a friend to your smartphone and pillow. So try to sleep on the other side after the procedure and don’t place the smartphone close to the piercing.
And of course, don’t touch it with dirty hands. Seems to be obvious, right?
One more useful tip – use sea salt every day for cleaning the pierced location.
With proper aftercare, it will take 3 – 9 months to heal completely.
Goods to buy for proper aftercare
Piercing aftercare spray – choose if you don’t have time to make saline solution every time you need to clean your piercing
Healing sea salt solution specially for piercing care – choose for diy saline soaks
Dr. Piercing’s medication filled swabs – use in combination with sea salt solution or spray for better cleaning
Organic tea tree oil – use to avoid piercing infection/bump
For a snug piercing, it is common to choose straight bars, banana barbells or curved rings (if you have a prominent inner ridge). There are also plenty original modifications of suitable jewelry such as an arrow, key or crescent. Here you can find some of them:
- Pearl Curved Barbell
- Banana Barbell Tragus Snug Bridge
- Sea Anchor Design Cartilage Piercing Barbell
- Stainless Steel Curved Barbell Bar
- Dangle Feather Cartilage Earring Steel Straight Barbell
- Stainless Steel Circular Piercing Barbells Horseshoe Rings
How Much Does a Snug Piercing Cost?
- US: $35-$70
- UK: £25-£50
- Europe: €36-€60
If you want to get a snug piercing in the US, the price ranges from $35 to $70 per piercing with jewelry. In the UK you can find it a bit cheaper from £25 to £50. In Europe, you would spend €36 – €60.
One month update