Are you tired of the same old ear piercings? Well, you might be looking forward to having a lesser common type of ear piercing that is way cool and involves minimal pain.
If this is you, then no need to worry because transverse lobe piercing could be just perfect to give you that new awesome and unique look.
Maybe you have no clue what this kind of ear piercing involves. That is why in this article, we will bring everything you need to know pertaining transverse lobe piercing to light.
What Is a Transverse Lobe Ear Piercing?
A transverse lobe ear piercing is a type of perforation that is done in a horizontal way through the earlobe unlike the normal piercings are done from front to back.
It requires the use of a long barbell. The barbell does not touch the cartilage but only runs through the fleshy part of the earlobe.
The jewelry sits horizontally as allowed by the anatomy.
Should You Go For Transverse Ear Piercing?
If you need to bring out the hidden beauty inside you in a unique kind of ear piercing, then this could be the best way to do it.
With the many types of ear piercings around, transverse lobe ear piercing stands out due to a number of reasons. However, it also has its fair share of disadvantages.
So, let’s look at some of them to help you make a decision knowing the good and the bad that are involved.
- It is unique to add to your beauty.
- It gives you a stunning look when accompanied by the right earring.
- It is less painful than most other common piercing procedures.
- Less afterwards complications involved.
- The process is quick.
- It could result in infections if proper care is not followed.
- The patient might develop future complications in a gone-wrong piercing process.
- Some societies could have problems with extra piercing.
How Transverse Ear Piercing is Done
Transverse lobe ear piercing is done without using surgical clamps or forceps due to the amount and type of tissue involved in this process. It often involves the use of a receiving tube.
The piercer will mark the exact spots where the piercing should be done and then a 14- or 16-gauge hollow needle is run through from the outside edge and emerges on the medial edge of the earlobe.
Thereafter, the piercing jewelry is run through and fixed into your ear. The technique used majorly relies on the anatomy of your ear and also depends on your lobe’s attachment.
Some piercing experts will use a straight needle on earlobes which are unattached while a curved needle would generally be used on earlobes which are attached.
The video below describes how transverse lobe piercing is done:
How Does Transverse Ear Piercing Hurt?
3 of 10
The minimal pain involved makes it easily bearable. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would give the pain a 3.
From the appearance of the piercing, one can easily think that there could be extended agony when the needle will be going through that much flesh.
However, a majority of those who undergo this process feel lesser pain when undergoing this piercing unlike the case of other ear piercings.
This could be due to the fact that the earlobe mainly consists of fatty tissues and the needle does not pierce through many nerves.
Healing and Aftercare
The healing process of transverse lobe piercings is fairly free from worry. Usually, many earlobe piercings have proven to heal very quickly.
However, transverse lobes could take a longer healing time because of the longer fistula involved — usually 2–10 months.
It is possible to have a double horizontal stretch of a healed transverse piercing. However, the process should be done slowly to avoid triggering pain.
To ensure that the healing process does not face much disturbance, it is important to observe aftercare practices and guidelines to avoid risks of side effects.
Here are some of the important aftercare practices to follow:
- Use salt soaks for cleaning care. They help in abscess prevention and drainage.
- Avoid swimming and being in contact with makeup.
- Be extra careful when brushing hair or undressing.
- Limit the use of headphones or phones on the pierced side to avoid injury.
- Adjust your sleeping style to avoid injuring the pierced part.
- Always wash your hands before touching a fresh piercing to avoid getting an infection.
Read more about new piercing aftercare tips.
Recomended Aftercare Products
Choose for DIY sea salt soaks. The best product to speed up healing process.Buy Now on Amazon
Piercing aftercare spray
Choose if you don’t have time to make saline solution every time you need to clean your piercing.Buy Now on Amazon
Wearing jewelry which you are comfortable with is important due to the great portion of the barbell that goes inside the ear.
- Rings and barbells are among the best options for this kind of piercing.
- A curved barbell is mostly worn with attached lobes while a straight barbell is generally used with non-attached earlobes.
How Much Does a Transverse Lobe Ear Piercing Cost
Here are the prices of earlobe piercing procedures in the UK, the US and Europe.
- UK: £20 for single and £35 a pair
- US: $50 for single and $100 for a pair
- Europe: €15 for single and €25 for a Pair
Transverse lobe piercing could be the best way to enhance your beauty with a much-reduced pain level.
With this information, you can now make the right decisions with the knowledge of how the process is done and what to expect afterwards.